Rothman Gordon
Alternative Dispute
Business &
Closely Held &
Family Business
Real Estate
Estates, Trusts &
Labor Law Employment Law Employment
Marcellus & Utica
Shales Oil & Gas
Workers Compensation/
Social Security Disability
Print Page

Workers' Compensation FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Workers' Compensation benefits in Pennsylvania.

What is Workers' Compensation?

Workers' Compensation is a system of legally required employer-paid insurance which provides for payment of medical costs, hospital costs, and weekly disability payments for workers who suffer from an illness or injury which arises in the course of his or her employment.

Must I notify my employer if I am injured at work?

The Workers' Compensation law requires that you notify your employer that you received an injury in the course of your employment, within certain time limits. If you fail to give notice on time, you may lose part or all of your compensation. You should report the time, nature and circumstances of your injury to your supervisor or another appropriate superior immediately, even if you do not believe the injury to be serious.

What injuries, illnesses or diseases are covered?

Usually, Workers' Compensation covers physical injuries. However, heart attacks and strokes, when related to your employment, can be compensated of they have been caused by unusual physical activity at work or by unusual stress produced by your job.

In rare cases, mental or emotional illnesses or impairments can be eligible for compensation if the condition was caused by a work-related accident, injury, illness or "abnormal" stress. Hearing loss can also be covered if you have been exposed to excessive noise at your work place for a prolonged period of time.

If your job contributed to or aggravated your previous condition or previous disability, you may be entitled to Workers' Compensation benefits.

Who can file a Workers' Compensation Claim?

An injured worker, the dependents of a deceased worker (principally the wife, unless or until she remarries, or the dependent children (including illegitimate children) up to age 18), or dependent partents (who must prove their dependency) may file a Workers' Compensation Claim.

When can I get benefits?

You are entitled to benefits if your disability lasts more than seven days. Generally, if your injury or illness lasts for less than seven days, your Workers' Compensation insurance carrier will cover only your medical bills and expenses, and you are not entitled to payment for your period of disability.

If your disability results in lost time which lasts for 14 days or more, you should receive benefits which include the first seven days of lost time caused by your injury or occupational disease.

Is there a time limit for filing a claim?

Yes. A claim must be filed within 3 years after the work-related accident, illness or injury occurs, provided a report to the employer of the accident is made within 120 days of its occurrence.

What should I do if my employer or its insurance carrier contests or refuses to pay my claim?

Consult with an attorney if your claim is contested. You will need to work closely with someone who knows the details of the Workers' Compensation law.

When should I seek the services of a lawyer for my claim?

It is not recommended that an employee try to handle a possible claim for benefits alone. At the very least, you should contact a lawyer in connection with your Workers' Compensation claim when the following situations occur:

Follow Us: Follow Rothman Gordon on LinkedIn Follow Rothman Gordon on YouTubeFollow Rothman Gordon on Twitter

Primerus Member
ACG Pittsburgh Sponsor
IUP Family Business sponsor
Master Builders Association of Western PA logo and link
Rothman Gordon was a Top Workplace 2011Rothman Gordon was a Top Workplace 2012 Rothman Gordon was a Top Workplace 2013
Rothman Gordon was a Top Workplace 2014 Rothman Gordon was a Top Workplace 2015 Rothman Gordon was a Top Workplaces 2016
Rothman Gordon is a Pittsburgh Marathon sponsor